.

.

Labels

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Trying Something New: Nail Tutorial

Today I decided to try to make a tutorial while avoiding my homework. I love painting nails and I always see cool designs online but I get frustrated when I can't figure out how to do them. So here's to hoping I help someone not face that same frustration!

To start off, all I used to create this look is in the top picture. I used OPI base and top coat; China Glaze Turned Up Turquoise; Black, White, and Silver Glitter from Kiss Nail Art paint (I got these at Fred Meyer for pretty cheap....LOVE THEM and use them all the time. Worth the money! Similar here); and a comb with a skinny handle (Rattail comb?). 
Note: Be sure to let layers dry in between steps. The thicker your layer, the longer you should wait.

1. Start with clean nails and apply a base coat
2. Apply your color of choice
3. Add a second layer of your color 
4. Using the Black Kiss Nail Art, create a line going from the bottom, outside corner of your nail (away from your thumb) toward the top, inside corner (near your thumb)
5. Fill in the nail above the line with the black. I used the nail art brush because it's the only black I have, but this would be a lot easier if you use a thicker brush.
Note: I loved this look on it's own. Feel free to stop here, continue on, or jump to step 7.
6. Take the white nail polish and drip 1-2 drops onto a piece of paper or cardboard. 
Note: Napkins and paper towels don't work too well for this step because they tend to absorb the polish too quickly.
Using the end of the comb, dip it into the nail polish and dot your nail. (You can also use a dotter, but this is the cheap, home-made way to do it). Create whatever dot design you'd like. 
7. Using the Silver Glitter, create a line between the color and the black, just like you did with the black in step 4. 
8. Finish off with a top coat and you're done! 

Hope this inspires you in your nail art endeavors! I'd love to know if anyone tries this :)

No comments:

Post a Comment